The meeting was attended by 20 people who come walking and we decided the following for 2017.
1. The new Group Leader will be Margaret Kendall. Deputy Group Leader is Alan Carr.
2. It was decided that all walks should be on the first Thursday of the month thus avoiding clashes with other activities.
3. Most members would like the walks to be accessible by public transport with occasional walks a bit further afield and one walk in June by coach. One person has an aversion to buses and would prefer to travel by train.
4. There was some interest in arranging venues using cars but the logistics could cause problems. Margaret Schumacher would be willing to make the arrangements.
5. There was a suggestion that some people would like longer walks and it was agreed that where feasible,and providing there are sufficient leaders, two walks will be arranged both finishing at the same point in order to maintain the social aspect of the group. One walk will be approximately 5 miles and the longer one 7 to 8 miles.
6. The 2017 venues for the first seven months are as follows:-
5th January – Lydiate Loop – Leaders Judith Jones and Alan Carr
2nd February – Parbold – Leader Ian Gent
2nd March – Hale Village
6th April Sankey Valley – Leader Ken
4th May Ormskirk (Warhorse walk) – Leader Margaret Kendall
1st June By coach, Destination T.B.A.
6th July Aughton
TUESDAY 18th OCTOBER 2016
@ 11.45 am in the Meadows Pub
You are all invited to come and discuss the following matters
1.Dates, Venues and Leaders for 2017
2.Do members want the walks to be accessible by public transport
3.What interest is there in arranging venues using cars
4. Do you want one or more outing(s) further afield by coach
5. Appointment of a new Organiser/Group Leader
Bill Langham 4th Oct 2016
The time has come to think about next year. As you know I am stepping down as leader, so we could do with a meeting of all members of the walking group to twist somebody’s arm to emerge as a new leader, even better would be a volunteer to take over.
Thursday 8th Sept saw ten walkers assemble at Hightown Station for what could have been a very damp walk as the rain had been fairly constant up till then, however to use an old nursery rhyme “out came the sun and dried up all the rain”so off we set ,nobody fancied going over the sandhills so Pam Bennet knew of a new concreted track and led the way. On arrival at the Royal Hotel places had been reserved for us and we enjoyed a good lunch.
Eight members of the walking group travelled to the Pendle district last week to complete a 7.5 mile circular walk from the village of Barley Green. Unfortunately the predicted sunny weather failed to materialise and we set off in drizzle, travelling over sodden ground to start the first loop of our figure of eight. The walk, although very pleasant, would have been better in good weather as the views as we ascended some of the many hills would have been amazing, however we were shrouded in cloud and had limited views. Undaunted we continued on our route across very rough terrain in some parts, taking care to avoid the herds of cows with calves.
Please note the starting time for this walk is now 10.45 not 10.30 as previously published.
Get the 9.45 train from Maghull station to Central and then the 10.10 train to West Kirby on the Wirral Line.This arrives in West Kirby at 10.43.
Thursday June 9th – A walk from the Hop Vine in Burscough to Crabtree Lane and by various footpaths to a farm shop/cafe near the Martin Inn then back along the canal to the Hop Vine for lunch. If coming by car, the pub has a small car park but there is a large Tesco store over the road with a much larger car park. If coming by bus, the 2A leaves stand 6 at Ormskirk at 9.48 and arrives at the Hop Vine at 10.06 The walk starts at 10.30am.
Leader Judith Jones
Thursday 7th July – This was going to be our coach trip for a ramble around Barley/Pendle Hill. Unfortunately due to lack of support the trip is not viable and therefore it has been cancelled. For the few who have paid, please see me at the Walking desk for your refund.
Thursday 11th August – A walk from West Kirby Rail Station, along the Wirral way for a short distance then up to the Beacon, along Caldy Ridge then down to the shore line and back into West Kirby for lunch at Wetherspoons. The walk starts at 10.30 am
Leader Margaret Schumacher
Todays walk of 5.6 miles was enjoyed by fifteen people, the weather was superb as was the meal afterwards at the pub. Many thanks to Sue Daniels for leading and the pub staff who opened up early for us to pre-order.
I regret that the ramble to Pendle in July has been cancelled . Refunds will be given to people who have paid deposits All other walks for the rest of the year will continue as normal
Thursday 7th July Outing by coach to Barley/Pendle Hill
We propose to travel to Barley where there will be a choice of two walks.
A) Keith Graham will lead a circular walk to the top of Pendle Hill and back down into Barley ( fairly strenuous with a climb of approx 1000feet)
B) Margaret Schumacher will lead a gentler walk of around 5 miles with some uphill.
The cost will be £12 and the numbers limited to 41
If interested give your name with a five pound deposit to Bill at the walking desk. Balance to be paid by 14th June.
The coach will depart from Central Square at 9.30 and leave for home at 5.00pm